A strong public education system drives the health, vitality and economic future of California and all of its residents. It enables individuals to succeed in the jobs of today and tomorrow. A high-performing public education system further enables us to meet the aspirations of diverse students, families and communities, so all children become healthy, happy, productive members of society. Local public schools also fill a central role in our communities; public education serves as the centerpiece of our democracy, underpinning people’s ability to fulfill civic responsibilities by being informed and working together to address the policy issues and challenges that confront us.
The improvements made to California’s education policy system in the past several years have been profound. They reflect early progress towards a bold vision of what all students, families, educators and communities should experience. In particular, we envision the following.
The public education experience we envision for students is one in which:
- All students achieve academically, are well prepared for future success in higher education, careers, and civic participation, and are able to thrive in a diverse, multi-cultural, world.
- Students graduate from high school with a plan for the future and the skills and knowledge to execute it, including – and especially – the ability to learn-how-to-learn in our rapidly changing world.
- Every student reaches his or her full potential and achieves at high levels, regardless of background or circumstance.
- Students are engaged in their education and in the decisions that help shape it.
- Students’ academic, social, emotional, and physical needs are understood and addressed in an integrated way.
- Learning for all students occurs in a safe and nurturing environment.
Educators & Staff
To best serve students, the public education experience we envision for educators and staff is one in which:
- Educators understand and embrace their role as instructional leaders. They are focused not only on supporting student learning but leading it; they understand their role in developing the potential of all children.
- All educators are provided with the training, support and professional learning needed to be successful.
- Everyone in the system is focused on achieving equity, including identifying and addressing inequities and understanding and meeting the different needs of students.
- Educators and staff excel in understanding and helping to address the academic, social, emotional, and physical needs of all students.
- Schools and districts are collaborative learning environments where educators and staff continue to grow and push each other’s thinking on behalf of serving their students – and all educators and staff are supported in their rigorous continuous improvement efforts.
- Educators lead and promote school and district decision-making that is inclusive and representative of all groups in the community.
Parents, Families & Communities
To best support students, the public education experience we envision for parents, families, and communities is one in which:
- Parents and families are confident that their children’s educational experience is high quality, inclusive, and meets individual needs.
- Parents and families are confident that all students feel safe at school and that learning occurs in a nurturing environment.
- Diverse cultures, languages, and practices are welcomed and celebrated as contributing to the culture and life of the school.
- Everyone in the school system is committed to authentic, ongoing, and meaningful engagement so that parents, families and communities feel they are true partners in the success of their children and schools.
- Parents, families and communities have access to the data and information that is transparent, useful, and actionable.
- Parents, families and all groups in the community feel welcomed, represented and involved in the schools.